Monday, February 02, 2004

3Tides, Belfast



I'll tell you up front here that Sarah and David Carlson, the owners of 3Tides, are very very good friends of mine, so this might be a bit biased, though I'll try to make it as objective as possible. When 3Tides opened in August, there was always an audible gasp from patrons who walked in the door. It was a gasp of disbelief that such an interesting and quirky place could suddenly appear on the mid-coast. I told David that his place was termed in my head "Industrial Chic." Its just such a cool place, everyone should partake of the atmosphere here...it is a great escape from the sameness of other eateries on the coast.


The atmosphere is like no other on the mid-coast...interesting, warm, yet spare, welcoming, and cozy, with a side of hip. When I walked in yesterday around 1pm, Linda Ronstadt was on the satelite radio and there were candles lit all over the place with Sarah and David's crapepaper collage decorated tealight votives. It was very relaxing and the glow from the candles really shut one's mind off from the stresses of the day. There was some dude writing the great American novel at a booth while a couple finished up their grilled sandwiches. I got a big greeting from Sarah behind the bar and Ben Clarke in the kitchen. I sidled up to the bar with my menu and looked over the fare......I chose a cup of cream of broccoli soup and a personal artichoke heart and roasted red pepper pizza on Ben's homemade crust. A word of advice...If there is ever a dish that has something to do with Ben's homemade yeast bread or crust...just order it no matter what....His bread talent is quite amazing (I am very jealous of his bread skills)


The soup arrived with a smile from Sarah and a side of oyster crackers.......It was good, but could have been thicker and hotter. I like my broccoli soup to have chunks of broccoli, which this didn't have. I also like it so thick that the broccoli could stand up straight if it wanted to...Perhaps I'm a freak, but this is what I like.


The pizza was heavenly. Ben used sun-dried tomato oil in the crust as well as a pinch of fresh rosemary. there was fresh shaved parmesan on the top and it smelled and tasted really good.
I'll keep coming back for Ben's cooking and the big hugs I get from Sarah and David upon entering. Never thought I would have my own Cheers!
Atmosphere A
Food B+/ A-
Friendly Service A+
Enjoy!
Seth