Friday, November 19, 2004

Wouldn't you know it, while I sat down here to write out the dish I'd made several nights ago for dinner, I spilled tea on my keyboard. I spent two days waiting for it to dry out...to no avail...so I had to get a new keyboard and in the meantime I kind of forgot what I put in the recipe to make it good. Well, here goes.

Lamb and beef shepard's pie
We tend to eat the same dishes over and over again because they are easy and I can do them by rote and its easy to go to the store. We have what we call "Little Chickie" night at least once every two weeks where we roast a chicken and have veggies and taters or something like that. Its mostly comfort food in this house and essentially I am gathering some good recipes together for when I open a restaurant and call it "Comfort Food." This Lamb dish would be an excellent addition. I didn't know how it would go over with the boys, but they loved it and ate almost the whole pan full in one night!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
make your favorite mashed potatoes. I leave the skin on my potatos and toss them with lots of butter and salt..a bit of chicken broth and garlic and top it off with fresh ground pepper
olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup chopped onions
3 cloves minced garlic
1 lb ground lamb
1/2 lb ground beef
salt pepper to taste
a few crumbles of dried rosemary and oregano
1/2 cup beef bouillon
a splash of red wine
tablespoon of melted butter and one of flour mixed together and stirred in as a thickener
Sautee onions and garlic together with hot olive oil in an iron skillet and add lamb and beef browning and cooking. Drain off fat and excess liquid while cooking. After draining, add salt and pepper and herbs..continue cooking. Add bouillon, wine and butter/flour mixture
1/2 cup cut baby carrots
1 bunch baby asparagus tops and middles cut into 2" lengths
any other veggies you want
Add the carrots and and stir into meat mixture. After 5 minutes add asparagus and take off heat. mix well. Add mashed taters to the top of the skillet and place in oven until the potatos are crispy and golden brown on top.
Enjoy!
Seth

No comments: