Saturday, July 07, 2007

I had another WWJD moment last night after I invited our neighbors over for steak on the grille. Thats about all we had and I was in to mood to cook. I had a lot of celery hearts left over from bloody mary's last sunday and a couple of leeks that needed to be used. I found a recipe that was interesting to me, so I took it and tweaked it and found that the soup was very nice. It was tasty either hot or cold. I call it Leftover Soup.
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup champagne (optional..I had some left over and had to use it)
2 celery ribs washed and coursely chopped
2 leeks washed and coursely chopped
2 boiling potatoes coursely chopped ( I used purple potatoes and left the skins on)
1 apple, coursely chopped
1 banana coursely chopped
couple of dashes of curry
1 cup buttermilk or 1/2 and 1/2 or even whole milk
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper to taste
Simmer vegetables and fruit in the chicken / champagne broth until tender, about 12 minutes. Add milk, butter and curry powder and cook another 10 minutes (do not boil) until the vegetables are nice and cooked. Pulse in blender until smooth and then force through a fine mesh sieve. Serve either hot or cold.
In the photo below, the thing in the middle is actually celery pesto that I made with just celery leaves and olive oil with sea salt and pepper.

Along with the grilled steak and soup, I served yellow squash done on the grille and a champagne and asiago cheese risotto that was done long before the steak was grilled and so sat around for about 30 minutes...it was sticky and terrible. It was really good when it was first done though!

Enjoy

No comments: