Thursday, May 13, 2004

When I burnt the pecans this morning, I should've taken that as a sign to get out of the kitchen.

Sometimes you cook and everything comes out perfectly...though this happens to me very rarely if at all!!


Today was not one of those days :-(


Tonight is our monthly potluck...The full-timers in our area rotate houses during the winter months (October to May here) and we all get together on the 2nd Thursday. It lagged for a while when everyone started bringing packaged food until word got around that we needed to start cooking for real. I was asked for a dessert this time 'round. A hankerin' grew in me to make a traditional Louisiana crunch cake, with a bit of an orange twist to it.

First off, I burned the pecans when I was just supposed to lightly toast 'em. This, at the same time I was making lunch, so I invariably burned the bagels for sandwiches too. Damn! OK, just start over. New bagels, new pecans......

As I was adding the five eggs to the butter sugar mixture for the cake, I dropped a half an egg shell in the batter and watched it go through the beaters....Should I just leave it? It is called a crunch cake after all! Nope...decided to fish it all out...think I got most of it...
The recipe tells me to make the glaze first and then pour into bottom of the pan, which I do. The glaze is just butter sugar and pecans. The pan I'm using is a tube pan with a removeable bottom. The butter ends up leaking out in the oven, giving me a pretty dry glaze on top....So I made more.....then Greg ate a slice and mushed the ends of the cake together, covering the top seam over with glaze...just like a little boy he is!!!

Anyway, here is the recipe:

Louisiana Crunch Cake


Louisiana Crunch Cake


Glaze
1/3 cup sweet butter
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups sweet butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
juice from one orange
1/2 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9- or 10-inch tube or Bundt pan generously with cooking spray or wipe with butter.

Glaze: Melt butter in small saucepan. Add sugars Heat and stir until mixture boils. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract, zest, and pecans. Spread in bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.

Cake: Sift flour and baking powder together into medium bowl; set aside.

In mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping bowl after each addition. Beat in vanilla , zest and juice. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Mix well.

Spread evenly over topping in prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Remove from oven and cool in the pan about 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack; remove pan and cool completely.

Enjoy,
Seth

No comments: