Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I came home from being out on the road for several days to find Greg and his parents and our house guests sitting down to a big lobster dinner. When they were finished, I put the shells in water and set the water to boil with a few bay leaves, some garlic, and some celery salt. I boiled it for about an hour and then reduced the liquid somewhat.

Found a recipe for lobster bisque where I took the shells out of the water, crushed them up and sauteed them in oil, adding onions, and a 1/2 cup of coniac and sauteeing until brown. T hen adding a head of garlic, a few carrots, celery, one sliced up tomato, tarragon, thyme, and 3 cups of the lobster water...(I then reduced the lobster water in the other pot by about 2/3rds and added this to the pot as well.) I simmered the whole for over an hour and then strained and set back onto boil while whisking in a can of tomato paste to thicken it. I took it off the stove to cool and then put it in the fridge for the day to meld the flavors. Right before serving I added cream and dissolved corn starch and set to slow boil again to get the flavors going. It got rave reviews, though I don't know how it tastes personally. I served it from Greg's mother's birthday dinner along with roast chicken, broccoli, and chocolate cake with milk chocolate caramel frosting.

Enjoy,
Seth

No comments: