Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Its getting chilly in the evenings here, so comfort food is on our minds. I stoked up a fire in the fireplace yesterday to ward off the rainy blues. I cleaned out the fridge of all the veggies and potatoes we had and decided to make a shepherd's pie. Sauteed leeks and onions, garlic, fresh rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Added ground pork while I put on the "green" potatoes to boil. I sometimes cannot believe how short a time it takes for potatoes to grow legs here!
Anyway, after the pork was done, I added diced red peppers, red pole beans from the garden, peas, and asparagus. While the mixture cooked, I made a roux with chicken broth, white wine and chedder cheese. Put the vegetable mixture in the cassarole and added the cheese sauce. Made the mashed potatoes by smashing them, adding lots of butter, some fresh chicken broth, and garlic, salt and pepper. Spread this over the top and popped into a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are crusty.

mmmmm
We then read books by the fire and watched the rain pour down.

I love this recipe because it is hearty enough and tasty enough that it'll keep you coming back for more. My recipe makes for about 6 servings, so for two people its perfect to make on a Thursday, have leftovers Friday after work before going out on the town and then have some for lunch on Sunday. Thats three meals made from leftovers from the fridge....love that!

Enjoy,
Seth

No comments: