Saturday, October 01, 2005

I finally had lunch at Chase's Daily in Belfast yesterday. I have always resisted for some reason. I'm not a big fan of trendy organic food places that look like they should be in Easthampton rather than in Belfast, Maine. But, friends of my parents dropped by and I had to take them somewhere, so I figured we should go there. I watched with bemusement as this ultra conservative guy perused a menu that included black beans and rice, hummus sandwiches, and omlets with tofu. Both Ed and his very cool wife, Milly, had the tomato and mozzerella sandwich. I had the black beans and rice with a side quesadilla, cause followers of this stream of food nonsense know that I like quesadillas. Ed and Milly loved their sandwiches, commenting that the baguettes were extremely fresh and good and the tomatos were perfect. I thought the beans and rice was great, if a bit too heavy on the cilantro. But it came with grated cheese, tomatos and a side of salsa. The quesadilla on the other hand was awful. I think the tortillas were microwaved and they used goat cheese for the filling...and while thats fine for some people...gimme a cheese with some heft and a bit of spice and make sure the quesadilla is extra crispy or take it away!
Anyway.....it was nice to know every other person who walked in the door and the space is pleasing and has some great atmosphere and people watching. Overall, I'd give the food a B+/A- (didn't you hate getting this grade is school...looking back now, it was such a control issue thing...if the teacher had liked you better, you would've gotten the darn A- free and clear) and the atmospehere an A. Great service too.

Enjoy,
Seth

4 comments:

Tor said...

For my money, Chase's is better for weekend breakfasts. Have you checked out the soup and sandwich place on the corner near the post office? It's amazing food!
Peace,
Tor

Anonymous said...

I think the problem with you is that you don't like any food unless it's wicked cheap. Chase's has the best quality food in town mostly because they use farm fresh (although, unfortunately NOT organic) ingredients.

Good luck with that farm factory pork from Sam's Club.

MaineCliffDweller said...

Oh Anne, you don't know me at all if you think thats my problem...I have way bigger and better problems than that.
Oh and by the way...try reading the review of Chase's again, its actually pretty rave-filled for me.
And darling, if you think I'm springing for organic pork for a bunch of freebee sandwiches, you gotta be kidding me.
Enjoy,
Seth

MaineCliffDweller said...

Thanks Tor, I will certainly do that.

Great constructive comment too...love the cat pic.

Seth