Sunday, June 25, 2006

My head was in the clouds this weekend as I got rave reviews for the third time from friends who came to dinner about three weeks ago when Greg and I were having "little chicky," or a Hannaford roasting chicken that has been a staple in our weekly menu for a while, mostly because Greg likes my curried chicken salad the next day for lunch (thats another blog post in here somewhere)
Anyway, I have really simplified this roast chicken thing and have it down to a science, so I thought I would post it here again for all of you who have tried it in the past. I used to stuff the bird with citrus fruits and yellow onion but one day found that I had the chicken, but nothing interesting to stuff it with. I wasn't really in the mood to cook, so I drizzled olive oil on the whole thing and then sprinkled liberally with sea salt....into the oven in a roasting pan at 350 for approximately 20 minutes a pound with an average time of about 2 hours to roast.
The meat comes out so tender and flavorful, almost like brining, but without the mess.
One friend repeated tells me its the best chicken she has ever had...at 60 years old, thats quite a compliment!

Enjoy,
Seth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That roast chicken recipe sounds great. How big a chicken do you usually get? Do you use a thermometer or just 'wing it'? I used a thermometer for roasting a leg of lamb and it still ended up somewhat underdone (to my taste anyway). I searched your blog for the curried chicken salad recipe but couldn't find it; hope you'll post it one day. Your writing is yummy - thanks for blogging!
Andrea