Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Spent the morning making crabmeat chowder for dinner tonight. I was able to taste the chowder base until I put the crabmeat in, (for those of you who don't know, I'm allergic to seafood) and I thought it was pretty flavorful. I gave Greg a taste and he said it was good....I said "not great, not wow this is the best chowder ever????" and he said "yeah, its uhhh really good" I asked about what it needed and he said "nothing." How am I supposed to work with that???
Well, this is essentially my clam chowder recipe with crab instead, so I figure it has to be good seeing as most everyone raved about that recipe when I used to make it by the barrel. The only difference is that I didn't use clam broth as the base, but used turkey stock.

I will wait to see how it reheats after I've cooled it in the fridge for 6 hours. Hopefully the flavors will meld well and come out stronger. Here is what I did...with all the chopping and such, it only took about 30 minutes to make.

Sauteed 1/2 an onion in butter and when transparent, added finely chopped fresh sage and thyme and two chopped stalks of celery with salt and pepper to taste, then added two cloves of garlic. Cubed several pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes (they are the creamiest) and added them to the pot to sautee a few minutes before adding about 4 cups of homemade turkey broth made with just a touch of yellow curry. Bring to a boil and then turn to simmer to let the potatoes soften. When soft, take a potato masher and crush some of the potatoes to release their starch into the chowder base (serves to thicken). Added 14 oz of fresh picked Maine crabmeat and simmer before taking off heat. I made this at noon for a 7pm dinner and have placed the pot in the fridge to cool and meld flavors. Will reheat before serving. Might add either heavy cream or Sherry before serving, but perhaps not. This is our appetizer tonight before the rest of dinner.

Enjoy,
Seth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd add sherry -- it tastes great in crab dishes.